Concordia University Chicago is a participant in the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI), a statewide agreement that allows the transfer of the completed Illinois General Education Core Curriculum between participating institutions. Completion of the transferable General Education Core Curriculum at any participating college or university in Illinois assures transferring students that lower-division general education requirements for an associate or bachelor’s degree have been satisfied, excluding graduation and mission-related requirements. This agreement is in effect for students entering an associate or baccalaureate degree-granting institution as a first-time freshman in summer 1998 and thereafter.
The following codes identify qualifying general education courses:
|IAI Code||General Education Type|
|IAI F||Fine Arts|
|IAI L||Life Sciences|
|IAI P||Physical Sciences|
|IAI S||Social/Behavioral Sciences|
IAI General Education Core Curriculum
- 3 Courses/9 semester hours (2 Writing and 1 Speech course)
- ENG 1100 , COM 1100 , and ENG 2000 here at CUC
- Humanities and Fine Arts
- 3 Courses total, 1 course must be a Humanities course, 1 course must be a Fine Arts course/9 semester hours
- Humanities – Literature, History, Philosophy, and/or Foreign Languages at CUC
- Fine Arts – Art, Film, Music, and/or Theatre at CUC
- 1 Course/3 semester hours
- MAT 1550 or higher at CUC
- Physical Sciences and Life Sciences
- 2 Courses total, 1 Course from each area/7-8 semester hours, a course from Physical Sciences and/or Life Sciences must have a lab (L) designation
- Physical Science – Chemistry, Earth Science, and/or Physics
- Life Science - Biology
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- 3 Courses total, from at least two different disciplines (e.g., no more than 2 courses from, for example, psychology)/9 semester hours
- Anthropology, Economics, Geography, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, and/or Women’s and Gender Studies here at CUC
- Total hours – at least 37 semester credit hours for a full complete transferable general education package.
If a student has completed only part of the Core Curriculum, or is transferring from a non-IAI participating institution, transfer credit for completed coursework will be awarded the same as if the Core had been completed. However, the remaining coursework necessary to complete the bachelor’s degree will be determined according to CUC’s current practices and policies.
Concordia-Chicago recognizes proficiency and CLEP credit, and will apply it toward IAI General Education Core Curriculum as appropriate. See an academic advisor for additional information and read about the IAI at www.itransfer.org.