General Undergraduate Admission Requirements
All applicants must meet the general admission requirements for Concordia University Chicago undergraduate programs as published in the Concordia University Chicago academic catalog.
New students are accepted into undergraduate degree-seeking programs for online (ADP) and on-campus (Traditional) study in the fall and spring semesters. If you have any questions please work with your admissions advisors.
BA Music Major Requirements
Students are advised that before beginning a major in music at Concordia-Chicago, they must perform an audition according to department guidelines on their primary instrument or voice and must successfully complete the music fundamentals test for placement into MUS-2113 Music Theory I: Diatonic and MUS-2112 Aural Skills I (please see music fundamentals guidelines). Prior keyboard (piano) experience is recommended; Keyboard Technique courses are offered on campus to address competency.
|Music Theory I: Diatonic
|Music Theory II: Chromatic
|Music Theory: Counterpoint
|Music Theory: Form and Analysis
|Orchestration and Arranging
|Aural Skills I
|Aural Skills II
|Aural Skills III
|Aural Skills IV
|History and Literature
|Music of World Cultures
|History of Western Music to 1750
|History of Western Music 1750-1900
|Twentieth-Century Music Literature and Techniques
|Select seven semesters in one of the following Primary Ensemble Memberships:
|Primary Instrument MUSA 3000 or 4000 level
|Music Convocation Three hours of this course must be completed
|Select one of the following:
|Senior Research Project (additional credit can be counted as elective)
|Senior Composition Project
|Select three hours from MUS at the 3000+ level or any MUSA 3
One or more of these courses may be waived depending on student level.
Co-register with MUSA for four semesters at 1.0 hour/semester.
For students pursuing a B.A. in Music with a Certificate in Parish Music, three of those hours can count toward music electives.
Students in the College of Health, Science and Technology or The College of Theology, Arts and Humanities must meet all University requirements found in the Academic Information section of this catalog. Specific requirements for these Colleges include the following:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 for all coursework completed at CUC
- A minimum GPA of 2.00 for all courses taken in the major at CUC
- A minimum grade of C for all courses taken in a major at CUC
- Payments of all tuition and fees due to Concordia University Chicago. All holds must be removed to receive transcripts and diploma.
- The Division of Natural Sciences requires a minimum grade of D- for courses within the major that are not pre-requisites for other courses. For courses that are pre-requisites, the C minimum remains unless superseded by admission grade requirements for specific programs, e.g., medicine/dentistry/pharmacy at LECOM, etc.).
The following courses may not be taken on the Pass/Fail grade option:
Course List Code Title Hours ENG-0100 College Writing 3 ENG-1100 English Composition 3 ENG-2000 Writing About Literature 3 MAT-0100 Fundamentals of Math 3 Any course in a major at CUC MAT-1010 Advanced Intermediate Algebra 3