Subsequent Endorsement for educators with a current Professional Educator License (PEL) in Illinois.
General Graduate Admission Requirements
All applicants must meet the general admission requirements for Concordia University Chicago graduate programs as published in the Concordia University Chicago academic catalog.
New students are accepted into graduate degree-seeking, approval, certificate, endorsement and/or post-graduate programs for online and on-campus study in the fall, spring, or summer semesters. Previously admitted students seeking to change programs may do so at the beginning of a semester (only) by submitting a Change-of-Program quick app. Applicants must be in good academic standing according to Concordia University Chicago’s satisfactory academic progress standards at the time of requesting a program change.
Endorsement Requirements (18 credit hours)
|EDUC-2400||Literature for Children, Adolescents & Young Adults||3|
|EDMG-4220||Literacy Instruction in the Content Areas||3|
|EDMG-3000||Middle Grades: Development and Philosophy||3|
|EDMG-4900||Content and Methods for Middle Grades Literacy||3|
|Select six or more credit hours in English/Literacy content, including but not limited to the following undergraduate options:||6|
|Content & Methods of Middle/Secondary English|
|Theoretical Foundations of Teaching ESL Students|
|Literature/Related Media for Adolescents|
|Linguistics and Language Development for Diverse Learners|
|Foundations of Literacy|
|Writing About Literature|
|U.S. Latina/o Literature(s)|
|Greek & Roman Mythology|
|African American Literature|
|British Literature I|
|British Literature II|
|Major American Authors|
|Literary Theory & Criticism|
|Romantic Period: 1785-1832|
|Victorian Age: 1832-1901|
|American Realism and Naturalism|
|Twentieth Century American Fiction|
|Twentieth Century Poetry|
|Classical World Literature|
|Modern World Literature|
Non-degree Completion Requirements
- Have on file an application as a non-degree-seeking graduate student.
- Complete, for the program being sought:
- the credit hours and levels as designated,
- within the specified time limit,
- with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Students completing multiple advanced programs or degrees at CUC must have a 3.0 GPA in each academic program in addition to a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- If transfer credit is approved to be applied: have on file an approved “Graduate Transfer Credit Approval” form(s) or evaluation(s).
- Have on file the “Intent to Graduate” form with the Office of the Registrar by the published deadline.
- Take and pass the final examination or terminal requirements in the program during or after the final course.
- Approval of the faculty.
- Payments of all tuition and fees due to Concordia University Chicago. All holds must be removed to receive transcripts and diploma.
Every attempt has been made to include information to aid the student with information about his/her program requirements. It is, however, the student’s responsibility to complete all steps and meet all deadlines relevant to completion requirements.
Requirements that need to be met to add a Middle Grades Literacy endorsement:
- Current Illinois Professional Educational License
- Passing score on Middle Grades Language Arts Content Test (#201)
- 18 credit hours in language arts.